All New Applicants or Employees Without WV Application System Accounts (formerly SearchSoft)
First time users of the West Virginia Application System website must create an account following the directions on the site and save their preliminary profile information regarding certification, tenure, etc. before applying for a job or transfer. This requires an email account.
Employees with WV Application System Accounts
Hampshire County employees who already have accounts must apply for posted openings by completing a West Virginia Transfer Application.
Ideally, prospective substitute teachers should have a Bachelor's degree with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average. They must complete an approved training program to obtain a substitute permit, but should complete the initial online application first.
- Summary of Application Requirements for Short-Term Sub Permit
- Summary of Application Requirements for Long-Term Sub Permit
However, at the current time, an emergency waiver due to a shortage of substitutes allows persons with an Associate's degree or at least 60 credit hours that do not constitute an Associate's degree to obtain a substitute permit. For this option, please contact the Personnel Dept.
Options for Sub Training
- The West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) offers training via WVLearns courses -
- This course is free online and currently self-paced.
- They also offer a free online self-paced sub permit renewal class
- EPIC (Formerly RESA) Training to Obtain Initial or Renewal Long-Term or Short-Term Substitute Permit.
- This course is now also self-paced but is not free